Halloween tips your parents never gave you 0
24 hours has all the tips about how to save money handing out candy or what excuses to give your boss when you show up to work still wearing your costume Nov. 1.
If you want to avoid getting drenched on Halloween — rainy skies are, unsurprisingly, in the forecast Wednesday for Vancouver — try the following costumes to stay dry:
• Mary Poppins — the airborne British nanny always had an umbrella by her side, just attach a parrot-head handle for added effect.
• Felix Baumgartner — the daredevil’s parachute is waterproof, but rain won’t even be an issue if you’re in the stratosphere all night breaking the sound barrier.
• Jellyfish — strap on a headlamp and cover up in a transparent shower curtain to emulate the luminescent marine life and keep from getting soaked.
Trick-or-treat giveaways on a budget:
• Recycle all those unwanted sweets — the ones usually found in grandma’s candy dish — your kids bring home by giving them to trick-or-treaters at your own door.
• Get kids pumped for the holidays by handing out all those crushed candy canes you were saving from last Christmas.
Excuses for showing up for work in a Halloween costume Thursday morning after partying all night Wednesday:
• Tell your boss you’re celebrating Day of the Dead on Nov. 1 — this may be a tough sell if you’re in a princess outfit.
• Dressed as a zombie? Simply say you’re already practising choreography for Thrill the World 2013, the charity dance event inspired by Michael Jackson’s Thriller music video.
• If you’re Mad Men’s Don Draper, just explain you can’t wait for the Nov. 9 premiere of the new 007 flick Skyfall. The 1960s look is always appropriate for Bond enthusiasts.
Repurposing your leftover Halloween decorations:
• Jack-o'-lantern — make it an urban scarecrow for seagull and pigeon protection.
• Fake cobwebs — freak out your mom during her next visit by placing webs in every corner of your apartment — especially the kitchen.
• Halloween danger tape — never lose a soup or sandwich to your co-workers again using this mock police tape to wrap your lunch in the office fridge.