Year’s gang slayings double that of 2011 0
Alleged gangster Sukh Dhak and his associate were killed Monday. (CARMINE MARINELLI, 24 HOURS)
The province’s organized crime unit believes there is potential for more gang violence this year after a shooting Monday in Burnaby raised the number of deaths to more than double that of 2011 around the Lower Mainland.
This week’s shooting deaths of alleged gangster Sukhveer Dhak and associate Thomas Mantel were the 18th and 19th local gangland killings in 2012. In total, there were nine similar murders all of last year.
“We did issue a warning of the Dhak and Duhre group last September. The shooting on Monday suggests the potential violence of associating with these individuals still exists,” said Sgt. Ghalib Bhayani of the gang unit.
“We are now working even more closely with other agencies, such as Vancouver (police), the other municipal partners and the RCMP, making sure, especially during the Christmas season, they’ll see us out there.”
On Jan. 17, Sandip Duhre, reported leader of his namesake group, was gunned down at a Sheraton Wall Centre restaurant in downtown Vancouver.
On May 30, Gurbinder Toor was fatally shot outside Port Moody Recreation Centre. Police said he was also associated to the Dhak/Duhre group.
Bhayani added the public shouldn’t be worried, but noted 80% of gang-related homicides occurred near the victim’s vehicle or home.