Stabbing-spree suspect to remain in custody
West End Vancouver stabbing suspect Jerome Bonneric. (FROM WEBSITE)
The man accused of going on a stabbing spree in Vancouver’s West End last week will remain in custody until at least Thursday.
Jerome Bonneric made his first court appearance Monday after being charged with aggravated assault in an attack that left seven injured, one critically.
The 33-year-old French citizen appeared with a cast on his right arm and a cut above his right eye — injuries his lawyer Bob Bellows said the man sustained during his arrest Thursday evening.
“He’s incredibly despondent and depressed and horribly saddened by what occurred,” Bellows told reporters outside Vancouver Provincial Court.
He believed Bonneric was in the hospital prior to the attack, but couldn’t say if he was in a psychiatric ward.
Bellows added his client has mental health issues and won’t be applying for bail in the short term.
The accused looked dazed throughout his brief court appearance, repeatedly glancing at a French-speaking man in his 30s who sat in the gallery wearing a scarf.
The man, who wouldn’t give his name, told 24 hours they weren’t friends and he was simply interested in the case.
The French deputy consul in Vancouver also attended the court date.
Christophe Alamelama said he couldn’t speak about the case, but added he was there to ensure Bonneric received a fair trial.
The French government, he said, wouldn’t remain silent on the matter and would speak in greater detail as the case progressed.
Six people were taken to hospital after they were stabbed and beaten inside a Barclay Street apartment. Police said Bonneric was staying with a friend living in the building
The Frenchman, a permanent resident, previously worked as a sales manager at a Port Coquitlam wholesale bakery where co-workers called him a nice man.