Family dog hit hard by virus
Coco, a two-year-old Rottweiler-lab, sits in isolation after contracting parvovirus. (SUBMITTED)
A Surrey dog owner is warning people to vaccinate their pooches for parvovirus or face large vets bills and emotional pain as their animals suffer.
Christina Montroy’s two pets contracted the potentially fatal viral disease that can attack a dog’s intestinal or cardiac system. The disease, which is highly contagious and is caught through contact with another dog’s feces, landed two-year-old Rottweiler-lab Coco and eight-month-old pit bull Whalley in a veterinary clinic’s isolation ward.
The price tag so far is $680 and counting as Whalley spent his fifth day in isolation and Montroy hasn’t been allowed to visit.
“We call every day, but it’s not the same,” she said. “The first 48 hours were terrifying … but the last two days he’s improved.”
Coco has since been allowed to come home despite getting parvovirus after Whalley. By then, Montroy said, the family knew the symptoms that include a sudden lethargy and loss of appetite.
“They get very depressed, you can see it in their eyes,” she said. “They just lay there.”
The two dogs were sent to Pacific Animal Hospital, which confirmed three cases of parvovirus. However, a veterinarian at the hospital didn’t want to discuss the cases or give her name for fear news of the virus would drive away other pet owners.
24 hours contacted six other veterinary hospitals or clinics in Surrey and none confirmed any other cases of parvovirus.
“My advice is vaccinate your puppies as soon as you are allowed so you don’t have to go through this,” Montroy said.