How to get a beachy look that lasts 0
Sweat, heat, sand, ocean, ketchup — a beach-day face braves all the elements and your usual makeup routine won’t do.
Summer makeup has to be industrial enough to last through an afternoon barbecue or skimboard session, but not so heavy that it slides off your face in layers.
This is where the experts at Maybelline New York come in.
“The perfect beauty look for a day at the beach is really about perfect complexion, glowing skin and feeling confident and gorgeous without ‘overdoing’ it,” says Canada’s lead Maybelline makeup artist Grace Lee.
To get the effortless (looking) beach face that lasts, Lee advises taking the following steps:
How to: beach-perfect makeup
1) First, apply Dream Fresh BB Cream ($11). Apply like a moisturizer, and massage into skin. Huge bonus: it has SPF 30!
2) Curl eyelashes. This makes a big difference in making the eyes appear bigger.
3) For the eyes, apply a long-wear cream eyeshadow like our Colour Tattoo line. This is key when you want colour on the eyes, but don’t want it running down your face from heat and sweat. A favourite colour is Barely Branded ($9). It’s a light champagne colour that adds just enough sheen to the eyelids. You can use your finger, or lightly blend with a soft bristle brush.
4) Waterproof mascara is crucial at the beach, especially if you are going to swim. Falsies Big Eyes Mascara ($12) is perfect for a wide-eyed look thanks to its dual-ended wand (one end for the top lashes and the other for the bottom). Apply at the root of the lash and wiggle outwards and upwards. I always suggest black!
5) Using a sheer blush like the Bouncy Blush will create that warm soft glow to the cheeks and not make it look like too much makeup. For summer, the shade Candy Coral is so pretty and looks great on a lot of skin tones ($10). Use your fingers and tap gently into the blush and blend into the apples of the cheeks.
6) Finishing with the lips, I would avoid too much lip gloss as sand might stick to it. Baby Lips balm to the rescue! You get a hint of colour and SPF 20 ($5). You can apply without a mirror because it’s so sheer. Pink Punch is that perfect amount of pink. Also, a little trick if you don’t have blush, you can use it on the cheeks too for a sheer tint of colour.
7) *TOP TIP: My tip for conquering the heat is to always remember to keep it light, fresh and sheer. Just as you wouldn’t wear a heavy coat in the summer, it should be the same idea for makeup. Keeping your foundation sheer is key to looking great in the heat.
Tips for the men too!
1) Disappearing sunscreen for the face. Protect mugs with a sunscreen that doesn’t feel gunky or cling to facial hair. Lee recommends Ombrelle’s SPF 60 Face Ultra-fluid Lotion, which rubs in, leaving no wet residue, texture or trace (I tried this stuff, it completely disappears!)
2) Clear mascara for those wayward brows. Keep the caterpillars in place, regardless of the beachside wind-factor.
Do you DIY?
Email project submissions and feedback to julia.dilworth[at]sunmedia.ca. You can also find Julia on Twitter @JuliaDilworth.