Fatal mix of heroin and alcohol killed Glee star Monteith: coroners 0
Cory Monteith. (WENN.COM)
A fatal mix of heroin and alcohol took the life of actor Cory Monteith, the B.C. Coroners Service confirms.
The Glee star, who was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room Saturday following a late night out, had previously been to rehab.
Vancouver police Const. Brian Montague said investigators found “indications in the room” that the 31-year-old died of a drug overdose before they passed the case on to coroners.
But he added the police case is closed and investigators will not pursue whoever provided the Victoria-raised performer with the heroin.
“There’s no law in Canada where we can request charges against someone who’s provided drugs to an individual,” Montague said.
“There’s an inherent risk when you’re using illicit drugs and there’s nothing legally in this situation that we can see that would cause us to pursue the investigation further.”
Monteith was out with one man and two women the night before he died, according to police.
Montague wouldn’t say what establishments the group visited prior to the actor’s death.
The TV star eventually returned to his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel at about 2:15 a.m. Saturday before hotel staff discovered his body just past noon the same day.
Police believe he was alone when he took the heroin.
The coroners did not provide the levels of drugs and alcohol in Monteith’s system when he died.
“There’s absolutely nothing as this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything other than the most sad and tragic accident,” coroner Barb McLintock said in a video statement, adding medical examiners would make no further comment until the investigation is complete.