You’ve been punk’d! How to rock the punk trend 0
Punk-inspired fashion is rocking out at full volume for autumn-winter 2013, with the trend being spotted in major shows like Versace, Moschino, and Chanel, illustrated in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's exhibit, Punk: Chaos to Couture, and sported on celebrities such as Miley Cyrus, Cara Delevingne, Kristen Stewart, and Rooney Mara.
While looking like a punk rock princess from head-to-toe may not be for everyone, it doesn't mean you can't embrace your inner rebel. To try the trend without feeling like you're reliving your teen-angst years, choose separates with classic punk accents to give your outfit instant edge.
- A good leather jacket, vest, or skirt is the epitome of cool; also try leather accents like cuffs, bags, boots, and leather-embellished accessories.
- Bring out your inner Sid Vicious by incorporating studs into your outfit. For a more subdued look, try studded boots, bags, or accessories; to make a stronger statement, consider shirts or jackets with eye-catching shoulder studs.
- Whether they are unzipped or zipped up and used for fashion or function, zipper embellishments roughen up a look by adding texture, structure, and raw edges.
- When it comes to prints, heritage fabrics are punk royalty. For an updated take on these funky fabrics, pair them with a modern separate like a fitted sweater, skinny jeans, or a tailored jacket.
Beanies and Toques
- Cover up a bad hair day, fulfill a Canadian stereotype, and amp up your outfit with a basic beanie or toque.