Child abductor had sex assault conviction 28 years ago: Crown 0
Randall Hopley seen leaving the Cranbrook courthouse in 2011. (QMI AGENCY FILE PHOTO)
A man awaiting sentencing for a 2011 kidnapping of a three-year-old in Sparwood , B.C., was convicted of sexual assault as early as the 1980s, according to a Crown prosecutor.
Randall Hopley is now in his late 40s and the Crown is arguing he should be identified as a dangerous offender — meaning an indefinite prison sentence — or a long-term offender, meaning a prison sentence with an “intensive” parole period of 10 years upon release.
Toddler Kienan Hebert was abducted from his home in September 2011 and was returned unharmed, four days later. A massive, inter-provincial manhunt by police led to Hopley’s arrest the next day at a remote cabin near the B.C.-Alberta border.
Crown lawyer Lynal Doerksen said via phone the hearing was adjourned early Monday as Hopley had to attend his mother’s funeral.
Doerksen said three officers have testified so far, including two who investigated a sexual assault that led to a Hopley conviction in 1985.
Another officer testified that in 2002 — during a train-wreck investigation in which Hopley was alleged to be a suspect — a search was conducted on his home that turned up pictures of a nude girl and children’s clothing.
Defence lawyer William Thorne declined comment but confirmed the hearing was adjourned for the funeral. He said arguments would likely last through the week.
Doerksen said the Crown is also calling the psychiatrist to the stand who assessed Hopley, as well as someone from Correctional Services of Canada to talk about treatment programs available behind bars.
The proceedings resume Tuesday.