DIY: Get into the Christmas spirits 0
A boozy gift or stocking stuffer will suit a variety of difficult-to-shop-for recipients, from the parent who can buy themselves whatever they want, to the new inscrutable boss you’re trying to impress.
Most enjoy a beverage (or two dozen) at Christmastime and making such a gift is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
So to help you get into the spirits, here are a few holiday hooch ideas from pastry chef and blogger Claire Lassam (of liviasweets.com), with one extra DIY from me.
1. Mulled wine kits (find directions here)
2. Caramel bourbon marshmallows (find directions here)
3. Apple spiced bourbon (find directions here)
4. Boozy Christmas crackers (directions below)
Cracker snaps, wrapping paper, ribbon/chord, toilet paper roll (3 per cracker), mini liquor bottles, tape/glue gun, other gifts/ toys/ jokes
How-to: Boozy Christmas crackers
1. Cut wrapping paper into a rectangle as long, or almost as long as three toilet paper rolls lined up together.
2. Tape the cracker snap into the centre roll.
3. Put all three toilet rolls with cracker snap going through in the centre of the wrapping paper and roll. Tape or glue-gun to secure.
4. One side at a time, pull out the toilet roll, about an inch to two inches and then twist it so the end roll winds into the centre roll and tie this with ribbon — I used elastic gold chord (getting' fancy!). Then you pull the toilet roll out.
5. Moving to the other side, drop in your mini liquor bottle and assorted treats. Twist and tie 'er up! You can go heavier on the decoration factor than I did. After making all those ugly Christmas sweaters I didn't have a lot of Christmas stuff left!
Julia Dilworth is a national DIY columnist and travel, beauty and home decor journalist. You can find her on Twitter @JuliaDilworth, email her at julia.dilworth[at]sunmedia.ca or visit her website juliadilworth.com.