News Local

Charge upgraded to murder in New Westminster attack 0

By Nick Eagland, 24 hours Vancouver

New Westminster Police investigate after a man was found badly beaten in New Westminster, B.C. on Wednesday December 18, 2013. The incident took place around 7:45 pm last night near 23rd Street and 8th Avenue. The victim Karim Meskine has since died of his injuries. A 16-year-old suspect is being charged with second-degree murder. (CARMINE MARINELLI/ 24 HOURS)

New Westminster Police investigate after a man was found badly beaten in New Westminster, B.C. on Wednesday December 18, 2013. The incident took place around 7:45 pm last night near 23rd Street and 8th Avenue. The victim Karim Meskine has since died of his injuries. A 16-year-old suspect is being charged with second-degree murder. (CARMINE MARINELLI/ 24 HOURS)

The teenager accused of assaulting a 19-year-old and leaving him in a coma last week in New Westminster has been charged with second-degree murder following the man’s death.

The 16-year-old was originally charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon for the Dec. 17 attack. The charge was upgraded after Karim Meskine was taken off life support and died in hospital on Friday, Cpl. Dominic Duchesneau of the RCMP’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said.

IHIT took over the case from police when it was determined the Surrey native was unlikely to survive his injuries.

“This is one of the saddest cases I have been a part of all these years at IHIT,” Sgt. Bari Emam said in a press release earlier this week.

The motive for the attack appeared to be robbery and Meskine and his assailant didn’t know each other.

 

Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions and our netiquette rules.


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »