News World

Weekend vodka bender saves dog's life 0

QMI Agency

Charlie the Maltese terrier had to be given a steady dose of vodka on March 1 and 2 after vets determined the dog had ethylene glycol poisoning, likely from ingesting antifreeze or brake fluid. (Handout/QMI Agency)

Charlie the Maltese terrier had to be given a steady dose of vodka on March 1 and 2 after vets determined the dog had ethylene glycol poisoning, likely from ingesting antifreeze or brake fluid. (Handout/QMI Agency)

An Australian vet clinic says it recently saved the life of Charlie, a Maltese terrier, by getting the little white dog completely drunk.

 

The vet determined Charlie had ethylene glycol poisoning, meaning the dog may have licked some antifreeze or brake fluid. When ingested, it causes kidney failure, which can be fatal.

Staff at the Animal Accident and Emergency animal hospital in Melbourne said the only way to save Charlie's life was to get him hammered on vodka.

"Alcohol alters the chemical reaction and stops the kidney failure from occurring," the clinic wrote in a blog post. "The easiest form of alcohol is vodka. In fact, for the whole weekend, Charlie had a huge party with us in the pet ICU."

Charlie recovered and was no longer showed signs of kidney failure, however the dog was "still nursing a hangover" when it went home.

 

Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions and our netiquette rules.


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »