Complementary colours dresser makeover from expert Annie Sloan 0
German artist Paul Klee's 1922 paintings 'Separation in the Evening' (pictured) and 'Greeting' inspired this dresser makeover from paint expert Annie Sloan. (PHOTOS SUBMITTED)
Recreate Annie Sloan’s DIY dresser makeover inspired by German watercolour artist Paul Klee
Bring (affordable) fine art into your home with this project from U.K. paint expert Annie Sloan.
During a recent trip to London’s Tate Modern, Sloan took in a Paul Klee exhibition that inspired her to make over this dresser, based on his paintings Greeting, and Separation in the Evening, watercolour exercises painted for his students in 1922 to show how complementary colours work together.
“What can I say about avant-garde artist Paul Klee except he really knocks my socks off!” Sloan said, adding she had forgotten how influential the artist had been to her until a visit to the exhibition. The experience motivated Sloan to work on new pieces and think about the nature of colour.
“I love Paul Klee’s explorative understanding of colour,” Sloan said. And after seeing Greeting, and Separation in the Evening she thought, “Wouldn’t these translate into a lovely chest of drawers?”
Like Klee, Sloan used orange and blue, but any pair of complementary colours would work for the top and bottom drawers.
Find more advanced painting projects from Sloan coming soon to her website at anniesloan.com.
- Find a chest to upcycle with close-fitting drawers (see photo).
- Paint the frame with a dark shade of Chalk Paint (decorative paint by Annie Sloan). Sloan used Chalk Paint in Graphite for this.
- Choose two complementary colours for the bottom and top drawers – Sloan chose Greek Blue for the bottom and Barcelona Orange for the top.
- Starting with the bottom drawer, make gradual colour gradations using those two colours.
- For the bottom drawer Sloan used Greek Blue on its own, for the next drawer up she mixed a small amount of Barcelona Orange in with Greek Blue, and so on, finishing with Barcelona Orange on its own for the top drawer.