DIY mom-presents she'll keep after Mother's Day 0
It’s always a good sign when you get someone a gift you would rather keep yourself.
This year, as the day we celebrate mothers approaches, we have two DIY ideas sure to tickle mom’s fancy: the first, I call Ombre Bath Salt Surprise and the second, from the talented Allison Hop over at thegoldensycamore.com, Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planters.
Bonus: Both projects require only a few materials and take 10-30 minutes, making them fantastic last-minute gifts that don’t look last minute in the slightest.
DIY Ombre Bath Salt Surprise:
- soap dye 3-pack ($5)
- bath salts ($10)
- Mason jar ($1)
The surprise is that these took 10 minutes to make!
1. Fill a Mason jar with white bath salts to desired amount.
2. Pour that amount out evenly between three cups.
3. Take soap dye (so it won't stain skin!) and squeeze 25-ish drops into one cup and mix thoroughly. Keep adding drops until you have your desired colour.
4. Put five or so drops in another cup (you're going for a nice middle colour between white and your dye), and mix. Leave the last cup alone.
5. Now put the darkest bath salt bunch in the jar first, then the middle, then the white bath salts and boom, ombre effect!
6. Now decorate your Mason jar with twine, scrapbook paper, tags — any of your desired finishing touches. I tried scrapbook paper in the Mason jar lids at first, but then opted for hole-punching one of the paper circles and stamping on 'mom!' with a mini stamp kit I scored for $1.50 at Michaels! I don't even have stamp ink, I just used a black marker. I then attached the tag with twine.
Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter
I instantly fell in love with these painted planters from Allison Hop of thegoldensycamore.com and your mom will, too! The fresh, spring colour palette is perfect for Mother’s Day, and they’re painted to recreate the ultra-chic paint-dip look. Find the full step-by-step instructions for Allison's project here.