News Canada

Teen's tweet sets off home invasion 0

Cheryl Browne

By Cheryl Browne, Barrie Examiner

(Fotolia)

(Fotolia)

BARRIE, Ont. -- A teenage party announced on social media led to a frightening home invasion Saturday night.

Four men crashed the party after two high school students, aged 14 and 15, tweeted about it.

The men who showed up uninvited were initially allowed in, but when they brought out drugs, the girls quickly uninvited them, Const. Angie Butler said.

"They were angry when they were asked to leave and said they would be back," Butler said.

The men left around 11 p.m. but returned at 1:15 a.m. with handguns and forced their way into the home through the sliding patio doors.

"They took away all the girls' cellphones, threatened them and hit the boy on the head with the gun," Butler said.

The boy required 16 stitches to his head.

The six teenaged girls and boy watched in horror as the four men punched holes in walls and trashed the home before they left.

A few days later, the mother is left shaking her head at her daughter's behaviour.

"It's the evils of Twitter. It's kids being kids -- but I'll tell you, there's no more social media in my house," she said.

Butler understands the mother's concerns and said it's a good reminder for parents that they should learn how social media works so they can talk to, and monitor, their children.

As of Tuesday afternoon, two of the four 21-year-old suspects had been arrested and charged with 14 related offences, including forcible confinement, break and enter, pointing a firearm, assault with a weapon and mischief over $5,000.

Police are still looking for the other two suspects.

cheryl.browne@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @cherylbrowne1

 

Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions and our netiquette rules.


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »