Accused in B.C. bomb plot faces new charge
Sketch of John Nuttall during July 2013 court appearance.
A man charged in an alleged plot to detonate pressure-cooker bombs at the legislature in Victoria on Canada Day last year has now been charged with a count of assault while in custody.
It’s unclear exactly what John Stuart Nuttall did that led up to the alleged assault incident on Dec. 2, 2013.
BC Corrections confirmed “an incident between inmates took place” at the Surrey Pretrial Services Centre,” but provided no further specifics.
“BC Corrections’ number one priority is to maintain a safe and secure environment — and to this end, BC Corrections reports alleged assaults within its correctional centres to local police agencies and co-operates with investigators,” it said in a statement.
Neither the Crown nor defence provided additional details of the alleged assault on Wednesday.
The 40-year-old Nuttall, who is currently also in court for a preliminary inquiry in relation to the bomb plot is scheduled for trial on the assault charge later this year in December.
Earlier in the bomb plot proceedings, Nuttall’s lawyer said both he and co-accused Amanda Korody were segregated from the general prison population for their safety.
According to the B.C. Supreme Court, the preliminary inquiry on the bomb plot proceedings are scheduled through July 8.