Absolut DIY 0
In support of Canada’s emerging maker community, Absolut recently launched MakerFest — an interactive celebration featuring artists, inventors, tinkerers and resourceful DIYers from across the country.
In Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal “maker spaces” showcased Absolut bottle hacks and designs battling head-to-head in a public vote.
There were handcrafted carrying cases in leather and wood, an on-site do-it-yourself bottle art display that changed colour via social media, and even a robot “Bar Bot” built to make drinks.
Inspired by the fine craftsmanship at Vancouver’s event, I tried out my own Absolut maker project: Absolut bench.
How to: Absolut bench
The Absolut bench was a cinch to make, turned out beautifully and can also double as a shoe shelf.
- acrylic paint (white)
- 4 empty Absolut bottles
- No More Nails adhesive (or screws, or glue)
- foam paint roller or dabber
- wooden plank
1. I picked up my piece of pine at Hope Depot for $10 (3/4” x 12” x 36”)
2. Reusing a foam paint roller as a dabber, I dabbed white paint onto the wood using a stencil. I was a bit sloppy on purpose, I like the rough-around-the-edges look.
3. After you finish the wood, clean four Absolut bottles and let dry.
4. You can either paint your bottles or leave them clear, but make a pencil mark where the lids will go and glue/drill on the lid. If you want the bottle to line up a certain way, I would adhere the bottles to the wood with the lid attached.
5. That’s it! Enjoy your Absolut table that took you an hour to make!
6. Full disclosure: Thankfully for my liver, Absolut gave me four empty bottles for this project.