News Local

Two boys suspected of smashing up Coquitlam school

Scott Brown, Postmedia Network

Coquitlam RCMP say two 13-year-old boys could face criminal charges in connection with a vandalism spree at Montgomery Middle School earlier this month.

The school, at 1900 Edgewood Ave., was broken into on the night of Sept. 17. Police say vandals smashed windows, damaged computer equipment, broke a vending machine, and walked off with some fire extinguishers.

Physical evidence gathered near the scene and witness statements pointed RCMP investigators towards a pair of teen suspects.

“With the help of witnesses, police interviews, RCMP police dog services, and other investigative techniques we were able to identify two suspects,” said Cpl. Michael McLaughlin with Coquitlam RCMP. “The estimated damage to the school is over $10,000 and that doesn’t factor in the inconvenience to everyone who uses the school. We want students and parents to know that we appreciate their passion and we took their concerns seriously.”

McLaughlin says the RCMP will work with Crown counsel to determine whether criminal charges or alternative measures are most appropriate.

By law, the youth suspects cannot be named.

sbrown@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/Browniescott