Homicide detectives release name of Surrey murder victim in targeted attack
RCMP officers clean the blood from the front entry way of a house on the 14300-block of Crescent Road in Surrey, B.C., following an early morning shooting where one man died and a woman was seriously wounded on Oct. 23, 2017. (Richard Lam/Postmedia)
A 28-year-old Surrey man has been identified as the victim of a fatal shooting in early Monday morning.
Integrated Homicide Investigation Team Cpl. Meghan Foster said Nicholas Khabra died in a targeted attack that also wounded his female companion.
“Mr. Khabra and the female victim are known to each other and were together at the time of the shooting,” Foster said in a news release. “The investigation to date leads police to believe that Mr. Khabra’s homicide was a targeted act.”
Surrey RCMP responded to a shots fired call in the 14300-block of Crescent Road about 2:10 a.m. Monday.
"When police arrived, a male victim was located suffering from gunshot wounds and was transported by the British Columbia Ambulance Service (BCAS) to hospital where he later died," Foster said.
She said the wounded woman called police from her vehicle a short distance away to say that she had also been shot,
She was located on Highway 99 at exit 10 and was transported by ambulance to hospital for treatment, Foster said.
"The female victim is expected to survive her injuries and her name will not be released."
She said IHIT is working with the Surrey RCMP, and the Forensic Identification Section to gather and review evidence.
"Shortly after the homicide occurred, a vehicle was recovered in Langley after it was deliberately set on fire. It remains early in the investigation and police cannot confirm if this vehicle had any involvement in the homicide of Mr. Khabra," she said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact IHIT at 1-877-551-4448 or email@example.com.
Khabra has a criminal history.
In 2011, he was arrested by the Gang Task Force and charged with a number of firearms offences. Within days, those charges were withdrawn.
Two years earlier in 2009, he was handed a six-month conditional sentence for dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
In a related civil suit, Khabra was ordered in 2011 to pay the person he struck $205,000, according to records of the case obtained by Postmedia.