Clayton Heights residents rally after city cracks down on secondary suites
Greg Garner poses for a photo in the Clayton neighbourhood in Surrey, BC, October, 23, 2017. Garner is disputing a claim from the City Of Surrey that a complaint was lodged against him and his rental suite. (Richard Lam/PNG)
There's no place like home suite home.
Dozens of residents were expected at Surrey City Hall on Sunday afternoon to protest the city's crackdown on secondary suites in Clayton Heights.
The rally comes after several Surrey homeowners were told to shut down their illegal secondary suites; the orders came as a result of what the city said were chronic complaints about the lack of parking in the area and other related issues.
Residents, however, say the city's been misleading with their reasons for the crackdown after several homeowners asked to see what complaints had been filed on their individual properties and were given no results.
In response, residents have launched an online petition to "stop the evictions" and will be rallying at Surrey City Hall on Sunday at 12 p.m.
"The city as a result wants to decommission secondary suites and displace over 300+ families," reads the petition.
"We feel that this decision is inequitable and inhumane to the families who will be impacted and will not solve the main goal of alleviating parking woes in the area."
As of Sunday morning, a total of 2,707 people had signed the petition out of a required 5,000. Three dozen people had listed their RSVP as attending on an online invite to the rally.
While the city had initially sent letters to 175 property owners, ordering the suites gone by Jan. 31, 2018 or face fines and legal action, Mayor Linda Hepner has since said enforcement is on hold while the city examines other options.
More to come.