Mini detergent packs can be dangerous for kids: Health Canada
Tide Pods. (Procter & Gamble/Handout)
Health Canada is warning parents to keep mini laundry detergent packs out of children's reach amid reports of kids becoming ill from eating the candy-like packages.
No national statistics are available, however, the Ontario Poison Centre has received about 40 calls in the last three months about children ingesting the new single-use laundry soap.
"These products should be stored in its appropriate container and should be locked in a cabinet or drawer," said Dr. Margaret Thompson, medical director of the Ontario Poison Centre.
The detergent is attractive to kids due to their squishy texture and colourful appearance, Health Canada said in the advisory released Thursday.
Ingesting the packs can cause vomiting and some children have experienced a burning sensation in the mouth as well as sleepiness.
Three children required hospitalization due to breathing trouble, she said.
The soap packages include Tide Pods, All Mighty Pacs and Purex UltraPacks.
In the U.S., nearly 200 children have become sick from eating Tide Pods, an advisory from the American Association of Poison Control Centers said in May. This prompted the manufacturer, Proctor & Gamble Co., to switch to childproof lids.