Accessories for the home 0
Earth-friendly, fall decor
The reds, golds and oranges of autumn may be upon us, but when it comes to decor, think green. Whether you're squeezing in the last few weeks of the season or gearing up to entertain over the holidays, by using natural elements and biodegradable materials and repurposing what you already have, you can create a fantastic fall decor that even Mother Nature will love. And the animals will thank you, too.
1. Set the table. For your table, Mariela Campo of GreenDesignGirl.com suggests biodegradable table linens from Rawganique. The company says its products are made in Europe from organic European hemp in a sweatshop-free environment. Colours include russet, indigo, burgundy and olive. Prices start at US$16.95 for napkins and US$82 for a 54-by-54-inch tablecloth Visit www.rawganique.com.
2. Whole kit and kaboodle. Another way to keep it green is to set your table with a Biodegradable Party Kit. Available from San Francisco-based Branch, the kit can accommodate service for 50 with plates, bowls and trays. The kit also includes utensils made from potato starch, recycled paper napkins and compostable waste bags. Prices start at $48 at www.branchhome.com.
3. Bamboo Bowl s. Branch offers bowls made by Bambu in Vietnam. The 100% organically grown bamboo products feature non-toxic water-based adhesive, natural lacquer and food-safe polyurethane. They're available in colours including Blue Curacao, Bubble Gum, Kiwi and Mango. Prices start at $13 for the Mini Me lacquerware bowls at www.branchhome.com.
4. Shine a light on it. To shed a little light on your recipe book when you're preparing a meal for guests, Ikea has the Sunnan solar-powered lamp for $19.99. For each lamp sold, Ikea will donate one lamp to a child in need in a developing country.
5. Fire's burning. To keep the fall night toasty and add a cozy ambience, burn eco-friendly Java-Log crackling firelogs, made of recycled coffee grounds. The company says the logs produce up to 80% fewer emissions than traditional wood logs. The come in boxes of six and are priced at $23.49, available at Rona.