Four more people shot in Toronto 0
Four more people have been shot in Toronto, bringing the total to 31 struck by bullets in the past week in the city.
Two of four men shot over the weekend were in critical condition and undergoing surgery on Saturday.
Police were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday to a townhouse in the city's northwest, where they found a 31-year-old man outside who had been shot in the head.
Staff Sgt. Norm Proctor said the man was in "grave condition" and "in and out" of surgery Saturday.
Proctor said detectives have persons of interest in mind, and described a suspect as a black man in his 20s, wearing a black cap and white shirt.
"We're advising anyone involved to turn themselves in and seek legal representation because we're closing in on them quickly," said Proctor, noting no gun was recovered.
Witnesses described the area where the man was shot, which is a Toronto Community Housing complex, as a "drive-thru for buying drugs."
Detectives said there's no motive for the slaying and are trying to determine if the victim was killed in retaliation for an east-end block party shooting on Monday that killed two people and injured 23.
He is the fourth to be wounded in three shootings in Toronto in less than two days, Toronto Police said.
About two hours later, officers said two men in their 20s were shot while sitting inside a car. Both of their injuries are deemed non-life threatening.
A number of shell casing were found near the crime scene, also home to a TCH complex.
Police could not confirm whether the men, a 19-year-old shot in the leg and a 21-year-old shot in the arm, were attempting to drive themselves to hospital.
The 21-year-old was treated and released, while the 19-year-old remained in stable condition in hospital Saturday. Neither of them co-operating with police.
Police described a suspect as a black man in his late teens, 5-foot-9, with a shaved head and wearing a white T-shirt.
Then, around 4 a.m. Saturday, a man was shot in the stomach in the city's east end. Police said the 43-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his abdominal area.
Sgt. George Kaldis said the man was in critical, but stable, condition after undergoing surgery on Saturday.
Police are appealing to the public for any information as no suspects have been identified.
It is not known if any of the the shootings are related.
Meanwhile, a 19-year-old man has been charged with a gun crime in connection with the Scarborough neighbourhood block party shooting on Monday, but police have yet to lay murder charges.
On Monday, two people were killed and 23 others injured when shots rang out at a community barbecue in the east end. Nahom Tsegazab, 19, whom police believe was the intended target, was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm but police have not charged anyone in the two homicides.
That shooting has triggered debate about a number of social issues including gun control, public housing and programs for at-risk youth.
Mayor Rob Ford promised to take a hard line on gun crimes as Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair vowed there will be more cops in at-risk neighbourhoods to protect against any retaliatory violence.
Ford and Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty are scheduled to meet with police and community leaders on Monday to address gun violence in Toronto.
On Tuesday, Clayton Wright, 42, was gunned down in a parking lot beside a west-end soccer field. His brother, Winston Wright, 38, turned himself into police on Thursday and was charged with first-degree murder.
On Thursday, Daniel Davis, 27, was found shot dead in a west-end schoolyard. Friends said he had attended Monday's block party.
On June 2, one person was killed and six were injured at the Eaton Centre food court. Christopher Husbands, 23, was charged with one count of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder after he allegedly opened fire at the crowded downtown mall.
- With files from Tom Godfrey and Alex Consiglio