Police target 3 Cup riot suspects in U.S.
Mounted police and the riot squad maintain a street corner after a riot broke out in Vancouver, June 15, 2011. C(ARMINE MARINELLI/QMI AGENCY)
B.C.'s Crown is considering seeking extradition from the U.S. of two of three suspects involved in the June 2011 Stanley Cup riots.
"B.C. Crown counsel is weighing the options and is considering filing a petition with the U.S. government for extradition of two of the three suspects," Vancouver police Const. Brian Montague said.
The third suspect, he said, is a Canadian studying at an Illinois college and can be deported.
All three are believed to be hiding in the U.S., but Montague says both Canadian and U.S. authorities have been in contact with all three suspects.
The Americans are a 21-year old from Idaho and a 21-year old from Seattle. The Canadian is a 20-year old from Vancouver.
"All three suspects are aware that there is a warrant out for their arrest."
To date, 137 people have been charged since the riots, but these last three suspects have slipped through the cracks and are on the run.
Montague said border authorities have been notified of their identities and they will be flagged and arrested if they try to cross into Canada.
"If an extradition order is not filed by B.C. Crown counsel, then we'll have to wait for them to cross the border and they will be arrested at that time," he said.
More than 200 people were injured when the riots broke out after the Vancouver Canucks lost to Boston in the final game of the Stanley Cup playoffs last year.
According to the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association, 60 businesses suffered millions of dollars in damage.