U.K. woman burned while stockpiling gas
British fuel tanker drivers voted on Monday to go on strike. Britain's Cabinet Secretary Francis Maude told media that drivers should make sure they have enough fuel in their vehicles and "maybe a little bit in their garage as well in a jerry can". (Chris Helgren/REUTERS)
A British MP who called for Britains to stock up on gas to prepare for a pending fuel tanker strike is being partly blamed after a woman was badly burned pouring gas into containers in her kitchen.
The British woman suffered burns to 40% of her body after transferring gasoline from one container to another. Crews were called to the woman's home Thursday after the woman's clothing caught fire, the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said in a release.
Officials said Friday it was determined the fumes from a gas stove caused the vapours to ignite.
The Daily Mail, a U.K. newspaper, said the woman was moving the gas to another container for her daughter to use in her car.
Cabinet minister Francis Maude earlier suggested drivers keep a jerry can of fuel in their cars or garages because there could be a fuel tanker strike. His comments were almost immediately denounced as being too dangerous, but that hasn't stopped hundreds from lining up at gas stations to stock up on fuel. Many stations have had to temporarily close while they wait for more gas.
On Friday, U.K. Labour Minister Karl Turner took to Twitter to call on Maude to resign over the comments.
"Francis Maude should resign if his politicking and unnecessary panic has led to York woman decanting petrol in kitchen suffering 40% burns," Turner tweeted, adding it was, "Irresponsible to say fill jerry can and put in garage. Stupidity of the highest order!"