Diamond swallower finally passes rock 0
A man suspected of swallowing a diamond has expelled the precious stone that he'd stolen from a Windsor jewellery store.
"Richard Matthews passed the stone during the day on May 19th and it was retrieved by forensic officers during one of their continued searches. The gem was analyzed and confirmed to be the missing diamond and has been since returned to its rightful owners at the store," Staff Sgt. Dave Kigar said in a press statement Sunday morning.
Kigar said Matthews was transported to the County Gaol where he is now being housed until his next court appearance.
Matthews, 52, had been in a dry cell -- no sink or toilet -- since being arrested May 10 for allegedly swallowing a 1.7-carat diamond worth $20,000 along with two other stones.
On Friday morning, he expelled a cubic zirconia and Kigar said the second semi-precious stone has not yet been recovered.
Last week, police said they would charge the suspect with possession of stolen property over $5,000 if he passed the diamond. He has already been charged with theft and breach of court conditions.
A judge granted police a warrant extension Friday, allowing them to hold Matthews until they obtain the evidence they seek.
Matthews is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.
-- with files from Eric Clement