Bill Tieleman, News, Views, and Attitude – 24 hours

Bill Tieleman

Read more Tieleman at thetyee.ca, email: weststar@telus.net, website: billtieleman.blogspot.com

Stories

Federal NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair. (REUTERS)

Fed NDP backs loser in prop rep

Imagine you are guiding Canada’s opposition New Democratic Party, working hard to topple Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper while elbowing Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau out of your way.

B.C. changes have affected the prices of a variety of drinks. (FOTOLIA)

Minister warned about booze prices: FOI

The B.C. government was warned in advance by several bar owners that its proposed “Happy Hour” changes would actually increase prices and reduce competition, says correspondence obtained by 24 Hours Vancouver through a Freedom of Information request.

A patient receives a flu shot. (QMI AGENCY)

Government pushes fear, flu shots

"Scaring people justifies evidence-free policies." - Dr. Tom Jefferson, Cochrane Respiratory Infections Group, on overstating flu deaths

Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan. (FILE PHOTO)

Burnaby, Surrey shirk homeless duties

Pity the homeless in Burnaby or Surrey because both municipalities are avoiding their social responsibility by not opening shelters for those in need.

Pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. (REUTERS)

Clark, Harper choose trade over democracy

How violently China responds to Hong Kong’s pro- democracy protests will not only determine the fate of millions there – it will also have a major impact on Metro Vancouver and Canada.

A buoy meant for boaters rests on the dry bed in Ukiah, California. (REUTERS)

BC Liberals ignoring food security

What connects the horrific disease Ebola in Africa, the terrorist group Islamic State In Syria, the possible mega-drought in California, and British Columbia’s shrinking food production?

Petronas CEO Shamsul Abbas is playing hardball with his company's commitment to B.C. (REUTERS)

B.C. an easy mark for LNG giants

Imagine being a lousy poker player facing some of the world’s sharpest aces and it becomes obvious that odds are the BC Liberals will lose big money to get giant liquefied natural gas companies to invest here.

Figuring out if the strike truly helped students is difficult, says Bill Tieleman. (REUTERS)

BCTF made gains despite mistakes

B.C. teachers likely went back to school Monday with one of two Rolling Stones hits in their heads – 86% with You Can't Always Get What You Want and the other 14% humming [I Can’t Get No] Satisfaction.

Premier Christy Clark. (FILE PHOTO)

Ethnic outreach scandal sprouts wings

Two prominent B.C. Liberal insiders are now each charged with three Election Act violations for their alleged actions in the “ethnic outreach” scandal of 2013 – and could face up to a year in jail and/or a $10,000 fine.

B.C. public schools remain closed. (REUTERS)

B.C. premier must accept arbitration

“When will mankind be convinced and agree to settle their difficulties by arbitration?” — Benjamin Franklin, writer, politician, inventor, 1706-1790

Schools in B.C. aren't likely to open this week. (REUTERS)

B.C. students not held 'hostage'

“School's out for summer. School's out forever. School's been blown to pieces.” — Alice Cooper School’s Out

Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau. (FILE PHOTO)

Trudeau should avoid Emery support

"With marijuana being such a big issue, I think I could be a really good spokesperson to defend Justin Trudeau from all the attacks.” — Jodie Emery, marijuana activist and potential Liberal candidate

B.C. teachers striking in Vancouver in June. (REUTERS)

Paying parents during strike 'crazy'

"From hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee.” — Captain Ahab in Moby-Dick by Herman Melville, 1851

B.C. has altered its recent changes on beer prices. (FOTOLIA)

Minimum prices won’t stop abuse

As the BC Liberals scramble to make its ridiculous “unhappy hour” slightly less objectionable, the big question remains unanswered – why have a minimum price on alcohol at all?